Friday, May 24, 2013

Unexpected Angels…


When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.  ~Rumi

This journey has had plenty of unexpected moments and places from where strength and courage had to be pulled. One of the most unexpected surprises was a phone call I got from a friend (we will call him 2Trillion!) who told me he was taking a trip to Texas to visit Joel Osteen’s church. Pretty much everyone is familiar with Joel Osteen and his family ministry. I told him to let me know how it goes and to have a great trip. I wished I could have gone.  Not only did he go there and visit the church, he had the opportunity to talk to Dodie Osteen (Joel Osteen’s Mother) about me. He said he told her all about me. Dodie Osteen is known for her ministry of love and compassion. She is also a cancer survivor and has the most powerful testimony I have ever read. She wrote a book called ‘Healed of Cancer.’ I was truly honored when she gifted me her book complete with a personal inscription inside. I have read this book at least five times already, and I carry it with me everywhere I go. The messages in the book are so powerful. I believe the spirit and the mind have a lot to do with our physical state, and this book helped me get my spirit and my mind right! If I ever got the opportunity, I would love to thank her in person. I would love to express to her how that book she so kindly gave me played such an integral role in my healing process.




Another unexpected angel in my journey was Dr. Jaqueline Walters--many of you may know her from the show ‘Married to Medicine.’ A two-time cancer survivor, she was someone I connected with last year through a mutual friend because I knew she had the same surgery. I had met and spoken with her a few times over the past couple of years, but I didn’t know her very well. That quickly changed. Our first of many phone calls lasted for an hour. She helped me mentally prepare by telling me things I should get ready for that she knew from having gone through the same procedure herself. A lot of people say, “I’m here if you need me.” Or “Call me anytime.”  When Jackie said it, she really meant it. Every time I had a question or concern, she was right there when I reached out. Before going to the hospital, she told me all the things I needed to make sure I had. The day of my surgery she showed up with a big box. She said it was just a gift. (Who doesn’t love getting  gifts!) I opened the box and it was filled with pairs of beautiful pajamas ranging from casual to cute and sexy. She said, “All the pajamas button up because you won’t be able to put anything over your head for a while.” I was speechless. The action was so thoughtful. Of course I had not thought of that. It meant so much that she cared enough to do that for me. She knew that only someone who had gone through this would know things like that. When the pain and muscle spasms got unbearable, it was Jackie that I could text at 2am and she would hit me right back with some encouraging statement. She always knew just what to say because she had been there not that long ago. I would shake it off and get my mind right. Jackie also came out to my house to visit me while I was recovering. Unexpectedly, she had another gift in hand. She brought me the softest blankets and booties that you heat in the microwave. They smelled like lavender -- soothing and beautiful. Talk about feeling good! I am thankful for her and her kindness. There are still people in the world that just do because they care about helping others. This connection was only the beginning. Now, I am preparing to help Jackie with her non-profit for breast cancer called ‘Fifty Shades of Pink.’  Don’t worry, you will hear a lot more about that real soon!

There are so many great things that came out of this bad situation… (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment