Friday, June 14, 2013

Just For The Fathers ...


“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.”

Someone recently said to me: “All Dads are good. Some just never learned to be a man.” I found this simple statement so impactful—and upon reflection, so true. It can be interpreted in many ways. This made me think of my biological father and his inability to be there for his children. There are many things that happened in his life that contributed to his absence. As an adult, I can now understand and accept that he was a good person but just never learned to be a man…

With Father’s Day fast approaching, thoughts of strong men from my life run through my mind. My grandfather comes to mind first. Affectionately called D.L. by his peers, he was known to be a very wise man. As I was growing up, he stressed the importance of living by “The Golden Rule” long before I even understood what this meant or entailed. It took many years for me to grasp the true meaning, but I can remember his voice saying it like it was yesterday. “Always treat people the way you would want them to treat you.” I would call my granddaddy everyday as a child and read to him. He would listen to every word. He would also let me read as many books as I wanted to him each time I called. (Really, I could read 20 books, and that amazing man would still be on the other end of the phone listening!!) My granddaddy told me I was special and would say, “You’re going to make it happen!” I would light up each and every time I heard those words. They still ring in my ears today, and it boosts my confidence whenever there is doubt.  He is truly missed…

“The greatest thing a FATHER can do to his children, is to love their mother.”
~ Anjaneth Garcia Untalan

My dad, the man that raised my sister and me as his own, was truly heaven-sent. Witnessing the way he has loved my mother has truly been a gift. He has been by her side through everything and has never missed a beat. The lessons he taught me helped mold me into the woman I am today. My dad had four girls and wanted to make sure that his daughters were independent. He was a true entrepreneur and not afraid to take risks. He can certainly take the credit for how hard I work at being a serious business woman…also unafraid to take risks. Life is way too short! He’s the best PaPa my daughters could ever have.

This Father’s Day I want you to reflect on the many men that are present and enhancing the lives of others. Today let’s celebrate the fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers and godfathers. We love you and we need you!! Happy Father’s Day!

3 comments:

  1. “All Dads are good. Some just never learned to be a man.” I love this quote and I think it's so true for all of us who have learned to accept that our fathers were good men that never learned to be dads. My father passed on Father's Day a few years ago, just when we were becoming closer. I try not to dwell on the pain, but to remember his love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father's Day is celebrated for a special person of the family - father. All the sun and daughter are express love feeling with their dad and make a day extremely special. If you want to celebrate this Father Day with your father, then you need to some Beautiful Fathers Day Images, Fathers day Wallpapers, and Fathers Day GIF. Here we collect best Fathers Day Quotes Images for you. Father's Day is celebrated in all over the world on the different days.
    happy fathers day messages

    ReplyDelete